Code Number: CEIV06P10_06
Title: The Baptistry of the Cathedral of Pisa, (Italian: Battistero di San Giovanni), landmark
Notes: This domed building started construction in 1152, and was finally completed in 1363. This structure replaced an older baptistry.Pisa, Tuscany, City
The architect Diotisalvi, left a signature that can be read on two pillars inside the building, with the date 1153:
MCLIII, MENSE AUGUSTI FUNDATA FUIT HAEC ECCLESIA
DEUSTESALVET MAGISTER HUIUS OPERIS
The Baptistry has a circumference of 107.24 m and is 54.86 m high. An interesting aspect of the architecture is that it represents the transition from the Romanesque style to the Gothic style. The upper registers are in the Gothic style, with pointed arches and the lower registers are in the Romanesque style, with rounded arches. The material used is Marble.
Italy, Architecture, Travel, Scenics, Europe, European, Structure, Italia, Italian
Photographer: Robert J. Stoller M.D.
PRINTS & POSTERS, BROCHURES, FLYERS, and MAGAZINE ADVERTISING, WEB, POWERPOINT
This image is available for licensing
in any media. For Pricing, General Guidelines, and Delivery information