37.41 North / 121.11 West
Crows Landing was built in 1942 as a satellite airfield for Alameda
NAS. This airbase was complemented by nearby bombing & gunnery
ranges. In 1946 it was reduced to caretaker status.
After 1965, Crow's Landing was taken over by NASA, and was
used for flight tests by aircraft based at Ames Research Center
& other NASA facilities. The ends of the runways were painted
to resemble carrier decks & F/A-18s from NAS Leemore to the
south would practice carrier approaches prior to going through
their Carrier Qualifications. A portable set of carrier landing/approach
lights were set up on either end of the main runway. The Landing
Signal Officers would fly up from Leemore in an O-2.
Crows Landing was closed in 1999 by NASA. At the time of
its closure, the airfield consisted of two paved runways at an
angle crossing to each other. (the longest, 17/35, is 7,950').
It is now mostly owned by the County Of Stanislaus. The
tower & crash building still stand, as do the field Recreation
Building & pool area. NASA has some trailers with satellite
antennae in occasional use on the NE side of the field. The two
concrete runways are deteriorating fast and round water clean-up
The airfield is blocked off, but local trainers still perform
occasional touch & go's. It's a shame that a fine facility
as this is not utelized at this point.